Quick Guide to the Best RV Battery
Traveling in a recreational vehicle (RV) may sound too exciting. The opportunity to go on an RV adventure with your loved ones offers a world of high-adrenaline thrills, fun, and enjoyment for everyone. So, it’s important to prepare ahead for the trip to ensure that the upcoming adventure time will be smooth and stress-free. Otherwise, you could end up cutting short your vacation due to unexpected breakdowns like a dead RV battery. So, If you’re looking for the best RV battery, here’s a quick buying guide to RV batteries to help you get started on the right track.
- Best RV Battery at a Glance
- What Is an RV Battery and How Does It Work?
- What Are the Different Types of RV Batteries?
- Best RV Battery Review
- 1. Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle B – Best Lithium Battery for RV
- 2. XS-Power-D3100 – Best AGM Battery for RV
- 3. ExpertPower EP1233 Deep-Cycle Rechargeable Battery – Best Budget-Friendly RV Battery
- 4. Interstate Batteries AGM DCM0035 Deep-Cycle Battery – Best RV Deep-Cycle Battery
- 5. Renogy 12 Volt Deep-Cycle AGM Battery – Best 12 Volt RV Battery
- 6. TROJAN T-105 Plus Series 6V Deep-Cycle Flooded Battery – Best 6-Volt Battery for RV
- 7. Optima Batteries 8016-103 Deep-Cycle Battery – Best RV Battery for Cold Weather
- 8. Odyssey PC925 Battery – Best Compact and Lightweight RV Battery
- 9. WindyNation 12-Volt AGM – Best RV Battery for Deep & Repetitive Discharge
- 10. Universal Power Group Deep-Cycle AGM Battery – Honorable Mention
- Buyer’s Guide to the Best RV Batteries
- In a Nutshell
- Best Selling RV Batteries
Best RV Battery at a Glance
The marketplace is full of batteries from different brands with unique features. There are also different types of RV batteries. Thus, shopping can be pretty overwhelming. However, you can get rid of the stress of buying by looking at our top picks for the best RV batteries.
Top Picks for the Best RV Battery
Below is our list of top products at a glance. Each brand on our list is the best RV battery in a specific category.
- Best Lithium Battery for RV – Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep-Cycle Battery
- Best AGM Battery for RV – XS-Power-D3100
- Best Budget-Friendly RV Battery – ExpertPower EP1233 Deep-Cycle Battery
- Best RV Deep-Cycle RV Battery – Interstate Batteries AGM Deep-Cycle Battery
- Best 12-Volt RV Battery – Renogy 12-Volt Deep Cycle AGM Battery
- Best 6-Volt Battery for RV – Trojan Battery T-105 Plus Deep-Cycle Battery
- Best RV Battery for Cold Weather – Optima Batteries 8016-103 Deep Cycle
- Best Compact and Lightweight RV Battery – Odyssey PC925 Battery
- Best RV Battery for Deep and Repetitive Discharge – WindyNation 12-Volt AGM
- Honorable Mention – Universal Power Group Deep-Cycle AGM Battery
What Is an RV Battery and How Does It Work?
Recreational vehicles usually have two or more batteries onboard. Ideally, there’s a separate battery for the vehicle that serves as a starter or ignition battery. In this case, the car battery requires excellent cranking power, or the cold cranking amp (CCA), sufficient enough to start the vehicle even during cold and bad weather conditions. CCA is a critical feature in car and truck batteries, including motorcycle batteries.
On the other hand, the other batteries will serve as the power source for all other applications in the RV, such as the lighting system, inboard appliances, RV solar panels, and the entertainment system, among others. That’s why they are sometimes called house batteries. Since these batteries are not used to start an engine, a cold cranking amp is irrelevant, although they are also useful if present in the battery to serve as a spare in case the main battery goes bad.
RV batteries have different configurations since they provide a steady power source for an extended time. For this reason, house RV batteries should have deep-cycle capability, and they are rated in Amp Hours (Ah), instead of CCA for starter batteries. The Amp Hour rating will depend on how much power you need for your RV.
So, if you have plenty of inboard appliances and you’re preparing for long travels without easy access to an electric power source to charge your batteries, you may need more batteries onboard, and set them up in series to allow simultaneous use of different inboard applications.
What Are the Different Types of RV Batteries?
Deep-cycle RV batteries have two major construction types. They are the valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) and the flooded lead-acid. The most common type is flooded lead-acid batteries, and they come in two styles – serviceable and maintenance-free. For VRLA batteries, the electrolyte is usually suspended in either a fiberglass- or gel-mat. Gel cell batteries work well for marine applications. For RVs, the absorbed glass mat or AGM batteries are the best choice.
The more advanced and modern batteries for RV are lithium-ion batteries, which go further than the lead-acid AGM batteries. They are safer, weigh less, are eco-friendly, more compact, still maintenance-free, and built with much longer battery life. However, all these amazing features come at a higher price. So, you have to be ready to invest more for more value with your purchase.
Best RV Battery Review
Below are the individual reviews of the products in our list of the best batteries for RV based on several tests, experience, reviews, research, customer feedback, and more.
1. Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle B – Best Lithium Battery for RV
- BUILT-IN BMS: BMS stands for "Battery Management System" - the brain of our deep cycle lithium batteries. Our BMS protects your battery from most common causes of battery failure, such as temperature...
- LITHIUM ION TECHNOLOGY: Unlike Lead Acid batteries, Battle Born's deep cycle lithium ion batteries have unlimited mounting capability, exceptional longevity, and are more cost effective. When...
- GREEN ENERGY BATTERIES: Made from 100% safe, nontoxic, renewable energy, Battle Born Batteries last for more cycles and can be charged and discharged repeatedly (and charge faster than any other...
The Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery is, indeed, born to battle the tests of time with the lithium-ion technology at the core for its exceptional longevity. The built-in Battery Management System, or BMS, technology acts as the brain of this deep-cycle lithium battery, regulating the power usage while automatically shutting off the system to protect you and the Li-ion cells from unsafe operating conditions. The acid-free and lightweight construction at only 29 lbs provides flexibility in use in various applications, such as RV, golf carts, campers, off-road vehicles, and off-grid applications. Plus, it’s a green energy battery made from 100% safe, nontoxic, and renewable energy. The outstanding longevity with sufficient power makes the Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery our top pick for the best lithium battery for RV.
- With built-in BMS technology for optimum safety and performance.
- Exceptional longevity with a 10-year warranty.
- It’s a green energy battery made from 100% safe, nontoxic, and renewable energy.
- Very expensive price
- No handle
2. XS-Power-D3100 – Best AGM Battery for RV
- 12 Volt battery with CA: 1360, Ah: 110
- Absorbed Glass Mat (electrolyte is suspended in fiberglass)
- Spill proof, sealed, valve regulated and vibration resistant
If you’re asking what the best RV battery is, then the XS Power D3100 battery is an excellent choice due to its superior performance, outstanding durability, and how it is oozing with so much power. It’s one of only a few batteries with high cranking power and superb deep-cycling capability at the same time, making it perfect for use in extremely cold climates and for intermittent use that allows discharge and recharge. The high cold cranking amp at 1360 makes it a good starter battery for vehicles, while the deep-cycling capacity makes it perfect for powering the accessories and lighting systems. The XS Power D3100 is also a good choice for boats, marine, trailers, RVs, solar panels, and other applications. With amazing power and flexibility in use, the XS Power D3100 is, no doubt, the best AGM battery for RV.
- Outstanding power at 1360 CA at 110 amps.
- You can mount in any position.
- It provides ultralow internal resistance for steady performance.
- High price point
- Heavy weight
3. ExpertPower EP1233 Deep-Cycle Rechargeable Battery – Best Budget-Friendly RV Battery
- Genuine ExpertPower Battery - The Most Trusted And Highest Reviewed Sealed Lead Acid Batteries On Amazon
- Battery Type - 12 Volt 33Amp/10 Hour Sealed Lead Acid Battery
- Quality Assurance - Crafted Wtih A Rugged Construction, Our SLA Batteries Are Ultra Durable And Utilize Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology Which Provides A Wide Temperature Range.
ExpertPower EP1233 Deep-Cycle Rechargeable Battery is not only an excellent battery for RV, but it is also ideal for other applications, such as home alarm systems, uninterruptible power supply or UPS devices, electric scooters, lighting equipment, solar collectors, electronics, home security systems, wheelchairs, emergency systems, medical devices, and more. The 12-volt lead-acid AGM battery has the versatility and mobility advantage due to its compact and lightweight construction. Yet, it is powerful enough to provide the necessary power source for many applications. This makes it a best RV battery for dry camping and a best RV battery for boondocking. It is one of the most affordable RV batteries as well. This led us to conclude the ExpertPower EP1233 Deep-Cycle Rechargeable Battery as our top pick for the best RV battery for the money.
- Very affordable price.
- Compact yet powerful deep-cycle batteries provide versatility for outdoor uses.
- It is a lightweight battery at only 22 lbs.
- B2-type terminal may require adaptors for some RV vehicles.
- Average battery life.
4. Interstate Batteries AGM DCM0035 Deep-Cycle Battery – Best RV Deep-Cycle Battery
- Interstate Batteries Deep-Cycle mobility product, our DCM0035 Replacement battery fits many products: Our Compatibility Guide is located under Product Guides & Documents. Also Fits: Jazzy Chairs,...
- Rechargeable, Maintenance-free and spill proof because of the AGM & VRLA (valve regulated) technology that eliminates spills and overpressure.
- Professional-grade quality product developed specifically for wheelchairs and scooters. Long life for deep discharge usage: the best performer for heavy demand mobility / wheelchairs. 12volt 35 ah...
The Interstate Batteries 12V 35Ah Deep-Cycle Battery is the best battery for scooters and wheelchairs because it is made specifically for these applications. This is also an excellent replacement battery for other uses, such as lawnmowers, jazzy chairs, Kubota mowers, leisure lift, Invacare battery, Pride mobility scooters, Ranger All-Season, and Hoveround MPVs and other Hoveround products. It features valve-regulated lead-acid or VRLA technology that prevents spilling and over-pressurization. Plus, it has a long life for deep discharge uses. This led us to decide that the Interstate RV batteries are the best deep-cycle battery for RV.
- With 3 amp-hour rating choices: 35, 55, and 75 Ah
- Features VRLA technology to prevent over-pressurization and spilling
- Made specifically for wheelchairs and scooters
- Inferior packaging.
- This is not a car battery.
5. Renogy 12 Volt Deep-Cycle AGM Battery – Best 12 Volt RV Battery
- Maintenance Free: Manufactured with thick absorbent glass mat (AGM) separators and advanced valve regulated technology, Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Batteries save you from acid leakage and frequent...
- Excellent Discharge Performance: Proprietary quinary alloy plates and specially treated plate grids enable low internal resistance and high discharge currents of up to 10 times the battery rated...
- Long Shelf Life: Made of high purity materials, Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Batteries reduce the monthly self-discharge rate below 3% at 77℉ (25℃), which is 5 times lower than their flooded counterparts
If you’re looking for a high-performing battery that is reliable and with practicality in mind, then the Renogy 12V Deep Cycle AGM Battery is a great choice for RVs and other applications. The leak-proof design was built for toughness and rugged use, and it is designed with solar energy storage applications in mind for superior performance even during frigid, cold conditions. It further features an enhanced electrolyte formula that ensures steady battery capacity and good discharge performance at low temperatures. With this Renogy 12V Deep-Cycle AGM Battery, you are assured that your off-grid solar system or vehicle stays powered on. It has a long shelf-life as well, since it is made of high-purity materials with a low monthly self-discharge rate of below 3% at 77°F, which is 5x lower versus its flooded counterparts. These outstanding features make the Renogy Deep-Cycle AGM Battery the best 12-volt RV battery.
- Long shelf-life.
- With enhanced electrolyte formula that ensures stable battery capacity and excellent discharge performance at low temperatures.
- It’s a green energy battery made from 100% safe, nontoxic, and renewable energy.
- High price
- Bulky and heavyweight battery
6. TROJAN T-105 Plus Series 6V Deep-Cycle Flooded Battery – Best 6-Volt Battery for RV
The Trojan T-105 Plus Series™ deep-cycle battery delivers unrivaled superior features, such as the exclusive Alpha Plus® Paste with T2 Technology™ and the Maxguard® Advanced Design Separator. The SureVent™ design highlights a flip-top vent cap system that makes watering your battery easier, faster, and safer. It has a built-in maximum-level indicator that provides precise watering, resulting in enhanced performance and longer life, while the embedded terminals further improve durability. With such power, running RVs and any applications should be a breeze for a 6-volt battery. This makes the Trojan T-105 Plus Series™ deep-cycle battery the best 6 volt battery for RV on our list.
- Very powerful battery at 225 amp-hour rating
- With SureVent™ design that highlights a flip-top vent cap system, making watering your battery easier, faster, and safer
- With built-in level indicator that gives precise watering that results in better performance
- Too expensive price at a thousand price point
- Super heavy battery for RV use
7. Optima Batteries 8016-103 Deep-Cycle Battery – Best RV Battery for Cold Weather
- 12-Volt, 750 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10 inches x 6 7/8 inches x 7 13/16 inches tall, Weight: 43.5 pounds, Dual SAE & 5/16 inches Stainless Steel Stud Posts. 55 Ah C20 capacity
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather
- Mountable in virtually any position. Works well as a boat battery or RV battery
If you live in the freezing-cold areas, you’ll need a battery with outstanding cold cranking power to assure you that your RV or your car will start quickly without a flaw even in bad weather. In this case, the Optima 8016-103 Deep-Cycle Battery would be the ideal choice. The high 750 CCA ensures superior starting power during winter and freezing-cold days. Plus, it has 120 minutes of reserve capacity for steady performance. It is more than the best battery for RV. It is also the best battery for RV trailers and is an excellent marine RV battery. However, you’ll also have to pay more for more power. Nevertheless, this battery would be a great investment for its many uses, especially during winter. This led us to conclude that the Optima 8016-103 Deep-Cycle Battery is the best RV battery for cold weather.
- It’s not just for RVs but also works on cars, trucks, trailers, and more.
- High 750 CCA provides superior starting power even in bad weather.
- With a high-reserve capacity of 120 minutes for the best performance.
- High price
- Undefined warranty
8. Odyssey PC925 Battery – Best Compact and Lightweight RV Battery
- Cold Crank Amp (CCA)- 330
- Better warranty: Limited 3 and 4 year full replacement warranty - not pro rata
- Longer service life: With 3-10 years of service life, ODYSSEY batteries save consumers time, money, and aggravation
The Odyssey PC925 Battery is an excellent battery with a compact and lightweight construction that provides versatility and mobility in use, while oozing with enormous cold cranking power. It is also packed with more plates. Having extra plates means more plate surface area and more power of up to 400 cycles at 80% depth of discharge. This makes the Odyssey PC925 Battery perfect for everyday use, not just for RVs but also for everyday vehicles like passenger cars, vans, trailers, trucks, and more. The sleek and compact design packed with power makes the Odyssey PC925 the best compact and lightweight RV battery.
- Faster recharge time with the highest recharge efficiency of any sealed lead battery
- Excellent warranty offer for 4 years full replacement
- Compact and lightweight yet powerful
- Current models have the opposite terminal orientation to older models.
- May be insufficient for RV configuration.
9. WindyNation 12-Volt AGM – Best RV Battery for Deep & Repetitive Discharge
- WindyNation 100 amp-hour, 12 Volt heavy duty deep cycle AGM sealed lead acid batteries with heavy duty plates are designed for deep, repetitive discharges.
- Ideal for all types of off-grid power: Solar Systems, RV's, UPS, Off shore Marine power, Telecommunications, Portable tools, etc.
- 99.995% pure virgin lead allows for an extremely low discharge rate and maximum power storage (lower quality batteries often use recycled lead). Float life is 10 to 12 years at 25 degrees Celsius
The WindyNation 12-volt AGM is a true deep-cycle AGM battery, designed specifically for providing off-grid power, such as solar systems, aerial work platforms, golf carts, floor cleaning, remote telecom, inverters, oil and gas, material handling, RVs, offshore marine, and renewable energy. The sealed and non-spillable construction makes the battery ideal for powering equipment at airports, shopping centers, healthcare facilities, and educational institutions, among others. Likewise, it is best for applications where the battery is discharged and recharged several times. The most significant advantage of the WindyNation 12-volt AGM is the superior float life of 10–12 years at 77°F, and it has heavy-duty plates designed for deep and repetitive discharges.
- Outstanding float life is 10–12 years at 77°F.
- It is made of 99.995% pure virgin lead, which allows for an extremely low discharge rate and maximum power storage.
- It has heavy-duty plates designed for deep and repetitive discharges.
- Brass core and thread materials are prone to breakage.
- Average life span.
10. Universal Power Group Deep-Cycle AGM Battery – Honorable Mention
- UPG #45978 UB121000 12V 100Ah
- Dimensions: 12.17 inches x 6.61 inches x 9.16 inches. Weight: 63.93 Lbs
- SLA/AGM maintenance free, spill proof battery
The Universal Power Group UB12100 deep-recycle battery is a sealed lead-acid AGM rechargeable battery with spill-proof design and maintenance-free construction. It is incredibly mountable in any orientation, while resisting vibrations and shock. The 100-amp-hour is sufficient enough to provide for deep cycling needs, making it a great choice for RVs, solar panels, golf carts, trailers, boondocking, and other applications. Plus, it comes with a 1-year warranty for added assurance. Due to its reasonable price with sufficient power, the Universal 12v 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery is an honorable mention for RV batteries.
- It is mountable in any orientation.
- Reasonable price for a battery with good 100 Ah that runs up to 500 cycles.
- It’s an excellent battery for solar charging.
- Low battery life
- Probable voltage drop after a year of use
Buyer’s Guide to the Best RV Batteries
Just like shopping for car batteries, the key to finding the best RV battery lies in the specs, and checking at a few essential features is vital to success in getting the right batteries perfect for your needs. There are features in car batteries that are irrelevant in batteries for RVs. As earlier mentioned, a cold cranking amp is an important variable for car batteries because this will define the ignition power of the car, but for house batteries, they are not so relevant.
Likewise, size matters a lot for cars with limited space for the battery. For RVs, however, this may not matter a lot because there should be plenty of space for the battery, even enough to add more batteries to connect in series. However, weight may matter in some RV configurations, especially if you need to transfer locations to power certain applications. However, let’s just focus on the more essential features.
When it comes to rated capacity, you’re looking at Amp Hours. Apparently, the higher the Amp Hours, the better. How much Amp Hours do you really need? The answer lies on you, based on how much power you really need in the RV during your travel. Ideally, a good Amp Hour rating of 100 Ah will already suffice. This means, you can use 5 amps for 20 hours or 10 amps for 10 hours of uninterrupted use before the battery will discharge. So, if you have plenty of applications inside your RV, you may need to have a battery with a high Amp rating of 200 or more. Alternatively, you can add more batteries and connect them in series. In this case, having three batteries with 100 Ah each connected in series will give you a total of 300 Amp Hours. This will let you use more applications simultaneously for an extended time.
There are several charging methods for RV batteries. Among the choices are alternator charging, shore power charging using a converter, generator charging, and through solar panels. Take note that regular charging is critical to RV batteries, and your charging frequency and methods can greatly affect the life of your batteries. Overcharging and undercharging are the two most common reasons for RV battery failure. Repeated overcharging of the battery will lead to water loss and plate corrosion, while undercharging will also cause the plates to harden into crystals. Both scenarios will eventually lead to failure of the battery.
Car batteries are standard voltage at 12 volts, but when you shop for RV batteries, you’ll find some batteries have 12 volts, while others are 6 volts. Generally, you’re going to need a 12-volt battery to run just about any electric application. The 6-volt batteries only provide an alternative to wiring your batteries together in parallel and series. If you’re going to buy a 6-volt RV battery, you’ll definitely need two batteries and connect both in parallel to add the voltage to 12. Some 6-volt RV batteries have higher amps at a lesser cost compared to a 12-volt RV battery. They are usually more durable as well, with thicker plates.
In a Nutshell
Shopping for the best RV battery is a bit different from shopping for car batteries. While these batteries generally look the same in physical appearance, with even some specifications are somewhat similar, knowing where to look is the key to success in getting the right RV batteries that are perfect for your needs.