Guide to the Best Solar Light Batteries
There are multiple reasons why solar lights are incredibly popular in 2021: they are easy to use, maintenance-free, and are highly reliable with continuous overnight lighting.
Likewise, do you know that one of their essential components are the solar light batteries?
Indeed, most of the solar lights on the market are using rechargeable batteries.
There are dozens of rechargeable solar light batteries available, but only a few of them are worth buying. They combine high-energy capacity, have long life duration, extended storage life, and have extreme temperature tolerance.
To ease your choice, we have selected the best solar light batteries you’ll find on the market. Here, you’ll find advice for the best solar light batteries as well as a detailed description on how to handle them.
We also included an FAQ where we answer all the most common and useful questions you have about solar light batteries. If you are missing one, reach us in the comment section.
For a quick look, check our Editor’s Pick section, and you’ll get all the essentials about the best solar light batteries in 2021.
- Editors’ Pick – Solar Light Batteries
- Why Do You Need Solar Light Batteries?
- Five Main Criteria to Choose the Best Solar Light Battery
- How to Replace Your Solar Light Batteries in Eight Steps
- 10 Best Solar Light Batteries of 2021
- 1. Energizer Rechargeable AA Batteries, NIMH, 2000 mAh,1.2V
- 2. POWEROWL AA Rechargeable Batteries, 2800mAh High Capacity Batteries 1.2V
- 3. Panasonic BK-3MCCA8BA eneloop AA 2100 Cycle Ni-MH, 2000 mAh
- 4. Duracell Rechargeable AA Batteries, 2500 mAh 1.2V
- 5. Mr. Batt Rechargeable AA Batteries, 1600 mAh, pack of 8
- 6. Amazon Basics 8-Pack AA Rechargeable Batteries, 2000 mAH
- 7. Tenergy AA Rechargeable Battery NiCd, 1000 mAh, 1.2V
- 8. EBL AA Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights Replacement, 1.2V, 1100mAh, NiCd
- 9. NiMH Rechargeable AA Battery High Capacity, 1.2V, precharged
- 10. Geilienergy Solar Light AA Ni-CD, 1000 mAh
- Frequently Asked Questions About Solar Light Batteries
- What Does mAh Mean?
- What Will Happen If You Use a Higher mAh Value Battery in Your Solar Light?
- Can You Use Non-rechargeable Batteries in a Solar Light?
- Can You Use Regular AA Batteries in Solar Lights?
- How Long Do Solar Light Batteries Last?
- How Do You Charge Solar Light Batteries?
- Do You Need to Pre-charge New Solar Light Batteries?
- Where to Buy Solar Light Batteries
- How Do You Change the Batteries on Ground Solar Light?
- Where to Store Solar Light Batteries
- What Kind of Batteries Does a Solar Light Use?
- How Can I Tell If My Solar Light Batteries Are Bad?
- How Many Times Do Solar Light Batteries Recharge?
- What Type of Batteries Should Be Used in a Cheap Solar Light?
- What Voltages Are Solar LED Landscape Light Batteries?
- Can You Charge Solar Light Batteries in a Charger?
- Final Tips
- Best Selling Solar Light Batteries
Editors’ Pick – Solar Light Batteries
Here’s a apacity from 1000 mAh to 2800 mAh.
Tenergy AA Rechargeable Battery NiCd at 1000 mAh
This is one of the cheapest solar light batteries of our review, yet one of the most reliable with more than 1 year of continuous power in the outdoors. It can run up to six hours of light per night.
EBL AA Rechargeable Batteries at 1100 mAh
This is the most reliable in all types of weather and can work even under the snow or at high temperature during summer. It will last almost two years in your solar light.
Mr. Batt Rechargeable AA Batteries at 1300 mAh
The lowest self-discharge rate of our battery selection, this can retain 75% of its capacity after three years of no use. It will last more than two years when in use.
Amazon Basics 8-Pack AA Rechargeable Batteries at 2000 mAh
An Amazon best seller, this gives you enough energy to power your solar light all night long (up to eight hours). It has more than two years of battery life.
From one of the most renowned battery brands, it has an extremely long duration life with more than four years in your solar lights. With large capacity for hours of continuous lighting, it’s greener and made with 4% recycled batteries.
POWEROWL AA Rechargeable Batteries at 2800 mAh
This has the largest-rated capacity of our review combined with an extremely long service life of four years. They are the best to keep your lights on even after a rainy day.
Why Do You Need Solar Light Batteries?
Your solar lights are very simple electronic devices. They are made of basic components, but each of them are essential:
- LED lights
- Mini solar panel
- Solar light batteries
- Electronic controller
Our sun is intermittent by nature; therefore, it will not shine the same all the time. Consequently your mini solar panel will not produce the same amount of energy daily. However, you will need light every day after sunset.
Solar light batteries will store the energy produced by the mini solar panel for your solar light to shine bright during most of the night, usually 6 to 10 hours.
What Are Solar Light Batteries?
Solar light batteries are rechargeable batteries. They are found in the standard size AA with a nominal voltage of 1.2V. They can be recharged directly in your solar light.
On their packaging, you will often see an indication like this one: AA 1.2v 600mah NiMH rechargeable solar light batteries.
- AA is the standard type of rechargeable battery.
- 1.2 V is the nominal voltage of the battery.
- 600 mAh is the battery capacity.
- NiMH is the battery technology.
Currently, there are two main solar light battery technologies: NiMH and NiCd.
What Is NiCd?
NiCd stands for nickel–cadmium. This type of battery has one nickel oxide electrode and one cadmium electrode. They are the oldest types of portable rechargeable batteries. They were the most dominant technology in the 90s but lost their market share to the NiMH battery.
Check out our NiMH vs NiCd comparison chart to see their main technological advantages.
What is NiMH?
This stands for Nickel Metal Hydride. This type of rechargeable battery developed in the late 60’s offers several advantages compared to NiCd and is now the leading technology in solar light batteries.
NiCd vs NiMH for solar light batteries
For a better understanding of both technologies, we have summarized in the chart below their main features.
|Type||AA battery||AA battery|
|Nominal voltage||1.2 V||1.2 V|
|Life cycle duration||Up to 1000 cycles||Up to 2000 cycles|
|Self-discharge rate||High (10% per month)||Very low (less than 1% per month)|
|Support high discharge rate||Yes||Partially|
|Temperature behavior||Very good at low and high temperatures||Good|
|Memory effect||Strong||Very limited|
|Safety||Contain highly toxic material||Recyclable|
In the end, we see that NiMH batteries, although not as robust as the NiCd batteries in hot and cold weather, offer more advantages.
However, aside from the material technology, what would be the main criteria to choose the best solar light battery?
Five Main Criteria to Choose the Best Solar Light Battery
When choosing a solar light battery, you are protecting the environment and saving money. Solar light batteries are rechargeable and will save you hundreds of regular alkaline (non-rechargeable) AA type batteries.
Have a look below at the main criteria that we have considered for our 10 best solar light batteries of 2021.
The main criteria when choosing your solar light batteries.
It is rated in mAh.
It ranges from 800 mAh to 2800 mAh.
The more storage capacity you have the longer your light will shine during the night. You can also store more energy to cope with rainy days when the sun cannot fully recharge your battery.
Number of Recharge Cycles
This is the life duration of your solar light batteries.
It ranges from 400 cycles to 2000 cycles.
Your rechargeable battery will last between 1 and 5 years. The main advantage of solar lights: they are maintenance-free. When choosing the most durable battery you can keep your solar light untouched for years.
This is the storage capacity loss of your battery when stocked.
Most of the manufacturers sell their batteries by pack, from 4 pieces to 24 or more. Therefore, you might not use all your batteries at once. In that case, the self-discharge rate is very important.
It can vary between 10% (for NiCd) and less than 1% (for NiMH) per month. The most efficient batteries can be stored for years without damaging their storage capacity.
Your solar lights will be exposed to the outdoors with steep variation of temperature during the day and depending on the season. Some batteries will malfunction when exposed to low temperature. In general, NiCd technology is the best.
Last but not least, we have selected solar light batteries offering the best ratio durability vs price, from less than $1 to $4 per unit. Manufacturers often offer huge rebates when batteries are bought in packs.
Now that you know how to choose your solar light batteries, let’s have a closer look at how they fit in your solar light.
How to Replace Your Solar Light Batteries in Eight Steps
You now have in hand your new solar light batteries. The replacement process is very important as you don’t want to ruin the water and dustproof properties of your solar light.
We have summarized below the replacement process in eight easy steps.
Step 1– Charge Your Solar Light Batteries
To avail the full capacity of your solar light batteries, they must be fully charged before installation.
Step 2 – Bring Your Solar Light Indoors
Your solar lights are made to work outdoors. Most of them are certified IP67, which means they have protection against dust and rain. Therefore, before removing the battery protection cap, you have to be in a dry environment. Thus, having them inside your house is best.
Step 3 – Remove the Battery Cap
You might need to unscrew the battery cap which is usually located on top of your solar light. Consult your user manual for the location of the battery compartment. Likewise, be sure to keep all the screws and joints in a safe place to put them back after the process.
Step 4 – Switch Off Your Solar Light
Turn off your solar light to avoid any electrical damage when changing the rechargeable batteries. Usually the switch is inside the battery compartment.
Step 5 – Install the New Solar Light Batteries
Remove the old batteries, and replace them by your new solar light batteries (fully charged).
Step 6 – Put Back the Battery Cap
Be sure that the battery cap is well screwed to avoid humidity to enter the compartment.
Step 7 – Turn On the Light for Testing
Test your solar light in a dark room. That will trigger the light sensor, and the LED light will shine.
Step 8 – Properly Dispose Your Used Solar Light Batteries
Do not throw your old batteries in the regular trash because they contain highly toxic material. You will find specific bins for used batteries. They will be sorted and dismantled, and some parts will be recycled. Protect the environment with this simple gesture.
10 Best Solar Light Batteries of 2021
Keep your lights on all night with the best solar light batteries of 2021.
Among dozens of brands and specifications, we have carefully selected the best rechargeable batteries offering high durability and capacity vs price. In our review, you will find solar light batteries fitting all budgets, as low as $1 per unit.
This is our top pick for solar light batteries. You will make no mistake with this battery pack. Energizer has more than 20 years of experience as a battery manufacturer. It is one of the most trusted battery brands with high-quality products and state-of-the-art technology. Their products cover all ranges of portable rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries.
Sold in a pack of 4, these solar light batteries feature NiMH technology. They are perfect for the outdoors, and their working temperature can be as low as -4°F. You can enjoy up to 4 years of illumination with 6 to 8 hours of light per day. If you want to store them, they will retain their state of charge for 1 year.
Energizer is one of the leaders in battery technology, and this battery pack is the first one made of 4% recycled battery – a kind gesture for our environment.
- Great storage capacity, up to 8 hours of continuous light
- Long life duration, 3 to 4 years in your solar lights (1000 cycles)
- Can withstand very low temperature: -4°F
- Its performance will be reduced at higher temperature (above 30°C)
- More expensive than other battery packs
- Limited shelf storage of 1 year
Once again, this is our number one pick as a rechargeable solar battery. This is perhaps the most advanced of all solar light batteries made of quality components (4% from recycled batteries) to ensure high durability and reliability for years in your solar light.
- 4 Pack of Energizer Recharge Universal 2000 mAh NiMH AA Rechargeable Batteries. Storage Temperature: -20ºC to 30ºC
- The World’s 1st rechargeable AA battery made with 4% recycled batteries. Energizer Recharge Universal batteries come pre charged and ready to go
- One charge allows you to enjoy up to 5.5 hours of toy activity or 8 hours on your handheld gaming device (results vary by device and usage)
Powerowl might not be the most known battery brand, but they have 25 years of experience in manufacturing batteries. They are specialized in portable batteries, from regular alkaline batteries to MacBook batteries.
With their AA rechargeable batteries, they offer a top product. Let’s see why we like it so much.
The battery bundle features 16 NiMH, 1.2V AA-type batteries with the highest capacity available on the market (2800 mAh). They are designed according to the highest safety standard with a temperature control valve device to avoid explosion and a bottom insulation ring to prevent short circuit.
Don’t worry about draining them, because they are super robust. They will light your nights for more than 10 hours and will last up to 4 years in your solar light outdoors (1200 cycles) bearing negative temperature (25°F). They also offer 3 years of shelf life.
- The largest storage capacity, up to 10 hours of continuous light
- Long life duration, up to 4 years (1200 cycles)
- Great price per unit
- Not fitted for very cold winter (25°F only)
- Shelf storage of only 3 years
Powerowl offers an almost-perfect product with one of the best value for money ratios. These solar batteries will last for years in your solar lights. However, it is important to note that they are best fitted for temperate climates with warm winters.
- High Capacity: 2800mAh 1.2V 16 Pack Ni-MH AA rechargeable batteries
- Long Service Life: It can be recharged over 1200 times and keep 70% power after non-use for 3 years
- Environment Friendly: Ni-MH environmental protection material reduce heavy metal pollution
Panasonic is one of the most innovative companies in the world, spending billions of dollars in R&D. They are specialized in all types of electronic products for domestic and professional use. Their new rechargeable solar batteries come under the brand name Eneloop and reflect the company’s effort on innovation.
Let’s see why this rechargeable battery is the most advanced in our review.
The battery bundle features 4 NiMH, AA-type, 1.2V rechargeable batteries. Their rated capacity is 2000mAh which will give you up to 8 hours of light per day. The most impressive is their life duration, the longest of our review, which is up to 2100 cycles, equivalent to 6 years! Those batteries are extremely robust at bearing temperatures as low as -4°F. Furthermore, their storage life is up to 10 years. They come pre-charged with solar energy, a nice gesture for the environment.
- Longest life duration of 6 years (2100 cycles) Longest storage life of 10 years Work at low temperature (-4°F)
- A bit pricey
The Eneloop batteries could be described by two words: robust and durable. With an impressive lifetime of 6 years, your solar light might even be worn out before your solar light batteries! This can be used for all types of weather and comes highly recommended.
- LONG LASTING PERFORMANCE: Recharge eneloop AA rechargeable batteries up to 2100 times
- POWERFUL NiMH RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES: eneloop AA Ni-MH pre-charged rechargeable battery deliver up to 2000mAh typical, 1900mAh minimum
- PRE-CHARGED AND READY TO USE: eneloop AA rechargeable batteries are pre-charged at the factory using solar power and maintain up to 70% of their charge after 10 years (when not it use)
Duracell is one of the oldest battery manufacturers in the world, with almost one hundred years of experience in portable batteries from alkaline to NiMH rechargeable. Their products are innovative and feature high-quality material. Let’s have a look at their latest rechargeable solar light batteries.
The battery pack features 4 rechargeable batteries, with NiMH technology. With a 2500 mAh capacity, you will have up to 10 hours of light per day. They offer 400 life cycles, equivalent to 1.5 years of continuous work. Their shelf life storage is 10 years, one of the longest in our review.
- Great storage capacity (2500mAh, up to 10 hours)
- Long shelf life (10 years)
- Built-in high-quality material
- Only 400 life cycles (1.5 years)
- Pricey for its durability
Thanks to high-manufacturing standards, the Duracell rechargeable battery will not fail at delivering continuous power for your solar light. However, their working life is limited, perhaps one of the lowest of our review with only 1.5 years.
- LONG-LASTING POWER BETWEEN CHARGES – Duracell Rechargeable Double A batteries are designed for heavy-use devices like video game controllers, wireless electronics, baby monitors, and more
- POWERFUL NiMH BATTERIES work in any NiMH charger; you can recharge them up to 400 times, helping save you money
- PRE-CHARGED AND READY TO USE – Guaranteed to last for 10 years or 400 recharges, whichever comes first; Duracell Rechargeable batteries will hold a charge for up to 1 year when not in use
You might not have heard of Mr. Batt before, but this small brand of rechargeable batteries is new to the market and only offers a few products. However, they are incredibly popular, being one of the best sellers on Amazon. Let’s have an insightful look at the features of their latest rechargeable solar batteries and why they are in high demand.
The battery bundle is made up of 8 rechargeable AA, 1.2V batteries, with a capacity of 1600mAh. Their high-storage capacity will provide up to 6 hours of light per day after being recharged by your solar light. They are durable and can be kept in use for 3 to 4 years (1200 cycles). Furthermore, they have a low self-discharge rate, retaining 75% of their initial capacity when stored. Similar to all NiMH batteries, they don’t contain highly toxic material and can be recycled when properly disposed of.
- Affordable ($1 per unit)
- Good capacity (1600 mAh, up to 6 hours of light)
- Durable (1200 cycles, up to 3 years)
- Pre-charged with solar energy (60%)
- Work better in warm climates (30°F at the lowest)
They are the batteries of choice for warm outdoor use. They are affordable and will fit in all budgets. They come pre-charged at 60%, but we strongly advise to fully charge them before use.
- NiMh AA rechargeable batteries (Double A batteries), 1600mAh capacity
- Up to 1200 cycles, save huge of money than alkaline batteries
- Pre-charged 60% of power by solar energy before delivery
Rechargeable batteries are the future of AA-type batteries. They are durable and eco-friendly and will save you thousands of regular alkaline disposable batteries. Looking at their incredible popularity, Amazon is now offering its own kind of AA rechargeable battery in its AmazonBasics store. Let’s have a look at why they are worth buying.
The battery pack includes 8 AA 1.2V NiMH rechargeable batteries. They are rated at 2000 mAh capacity which will provide between 6 and 8 hours of light every day. This is perfect for a solar light in your garden. They can be charged 1000 times with minimal power loss, which is equivalent to 3 years of service life. You can also store them for 2 years with only 20% capacity loss. With Amazon offering 1-year limited warranty, you won’t have to worry about reliability.
- Good capacity (2000 mAh, 6 to 8 hours of light)
- Decent battery life (1000 cycles, up to 3 years)
- Comes with 1year warranty
- Can be recycled after use
- Affordable price ($2 per unit)
- Shelf storage life is limited (2 years)
- Not the best manufacturing quality
Amazon is offering a ready-to-use product, with one of the best durability/price ratios. Furthermore, the capacity is good enough for hours of lighting. This works best for small budgets.
- RELIABLE PERFORMANCE: 8-pack of pre-charged AA rechargeable NiMH batteries (2,000 mAh) for professional or everyday use
- RECHARGEABLE: Can be recharged up to 1000 times with minimal power loss; provides consistent discharge performance (requires separate battery charger)
- EVERYDAY COMPATIBILITY: Works with any device that uses AA batteries, like remote controls, flashlights, clocks and more
Tenergy is a relatively new battery company created in California 16 years ago. They are specialized in high-quality battery products covering all types of technologies (lithium, NiMH, NiCd, etc.). They are committed to offer durable and high-quality products. Let’s have a look at the main features of their AA rechargeable battery pack and why we are recommending it.
Tenergy’s battery bundle offers 12 AA, 1.2V batteries, with the NiCd technology. The Tenergy solar light batteries have a 1000 mAh capacity, offering 5 to 6 hours of light every day. You can charge them 500 times, equivalent to 1.5years of use in your garden. NiCd batteries are made of different material than the NiMH ones. They are much more robust and can bear extreme weather from -40°F to 122°F; therefore, they are perfect for a garden solar light, like the Malibu Solar Garden Light.
- Very affordable ($1 per unit)
- Can withstand extreme weather
- Built with quality material
- Average capacity (1000 mAh, 5 to 6 hours of light)
- Low life cycle (500 cycles or 1.5 years)
- Battery material is toxic (Cadmium, Cd)
This is your best choice for extreme weather thanks to the NiCd technology. Those batteries will never fail you even during cold winters. In addition, they are one of the most affordable products in our review.
- Multiple uses - Popularly used for solar powered garden lights, landscaping lights, lawn lights, etc. Can be used with popular brands of solar garden lights including Intermatic, Malibu, and many...
- As a rechargeable high capacity AA battery, it is built with 1000mAh capacity rating that translates to a longer use time. Typical batteries only have a 600mAh or 800mAh, so power your devices with...
- Tenergy 1.2V AA NiCd Rechargeable Batteries measures 14.2 mm (Diameter) x 50 mm (Length).
EBL is a young company specialized in portable batteries from disposable alkaline to rechargeable batteries (NiMH, NiCd). They are committed to a high-standard manufacturing process offering the most durable products.
We have selected a bundle of NiCd batteries specially designed for extreme weather. Let’s have a look at their main characteristics.
This is the largest battery pack of our review, with 20 rechargeable AA type NiCd 1.2V, 1100mAh batteries. Their capacity will ensure 6 to 8 hours of continuous lighting after being charged by your solar light. They come with a case for storage.
They will only lose 25% of their capacity after 3 years of storage. When it comes to life duration, they offer around 500 recharge cycles which is enough for 1.5 years of use. Their key characteristic is their robustness toward extreme temperature (from -4°F to 140°F). Therefore, they are perfect for outdoor use and will work even under the snow.
- The most affordable batteries ($0.8 per unit)
- Works under extreme weather conditions
- Built with quality material
- Average shelf storage life (3 years)
- Low life duration when in use (1.5 years)
- Contains toxic material (Cadmium, Cd)
This provides a very good value for money. Unlike NiMH rechargeable batteries which might be damaged at low temperatures, these solar light batteries are perfect for cold winters and warm summers. Their relatively low life duration is balanced by their cheap price.
- Great Quality AA Rechargeable Battery: EBL 20 packs aa rechargeable batteries—1100mAh 1.2V AA batteries with large capacity for outdoor solar lights garden lights string light lawn lights, TV...
- Save Your Money: Pre-charged aa rechargeable batteries for solar lights with advanced technology can extend battery life more than 1200 Tech, up to 500 times deep charging & discharging cycles, more...
- Good Performance: Much better high temperature performance solar light batteries than other type batteries, can be used in -4℉ to 140℉, they can be charged from solar lights even in the snow,...
Brightown is a US-based company specialized in lighting, featuring solar lights as their best sellers. Naturally, they decided to commercialize rechargeable batteries for their solar lights. Their batteries are manufactured to the highest safety standard and are UL-certified (free from fire risks, electric short circuit and gas leak). Let’s have a closer look at their main features.
The battery pack offers 12 pre-charged 1.2V AA NiMH batteries. With a capacity of 1300 mAh, you will get 5 to 6 hours of light per charge cycle. This is perfect to illuminate your garden in the evening. You can cycle the batteries up to 500 times, which is equivalent to 1.5 years of life duration. Thanks to the NiMH technology, they can be stored for a few years with limited capacity loss.
- UL-certified batteries (they are safe)
- Average storage capacity
- Low battery life duration
- Capacity is lowered at low temperature
- 30% pre-charged only
Brightown battery pack is an affordable choice for your solar lights. They will satisfy your needs for more than a year. Beware, though, that they need to be fully charged before installation.
- 【 30% Precharged for Ready Use 】 For transportation safety purposes, these batteries are only precharged with 30% power, so charge them before use for longer working. In addition, recharging the...
- 【 Rechargeable and Money-Saving 】The rechargeable AA battery can be constantly recharged 1200 times, saving you money on purchasing one-time use disposable alkaline batteries. It also does less...
- 【 Reliable High Capacity 】The AA rechargeable battery was built with a 1300mAh high capacity rating that translates for longer working time, allowing you to use devices longer while making the...
Geilienergy is a battery manufacturer with almost 10 years of experience in all types of batteries. They are committed to the highest standards of safety and quality for their products. Therefore they specially designed this NiCd rechargeable battery for solar lighting applications. Let’s have an insightful look at their latest product.
The battery bundle offers 8 rechargeable solar light AA batteries, 1.2V NiCd. The 1000mAh capacity gives enough energy to power your solar light for 6 hours at night. They have a 1000 cycle life duration, which is equivalent to 2 to 3 years of use. Like all NiCd batteries, they first have to be fully drained and then fully charged to fully avail their capacity. They are also tolerant to extreme weather conditions (low and high temperature) which make them a perfect choice for your device, like the Moonrays Solar Light.
- Average capacity (up to 6 hours of light)
- Good life duration (2 to 3 years)
- Tolerant to extreme temperature
- A little bit pricey regarding their performance
- Not ready to use (need to be discharged and charged first)
This is a great solar light battery for extreme weather conditions. Although they are not as durable as NiMH batteries, they will not suffer from cold temperatures, and you will enjoy more than 2 years of continuous lighting.
- ❤Especially fit for Intermatic and Malibu Solar Graden light, and can replace 600mAh NiCd AA cells with longer running time.
- ❤Provides long use time per charge with this high 1000 mAh capacity
- ❤Perfect for Intermatic and Malibu Solar Garden light, and can replace 600mAh, 800mAh, etc NiCd AA cells
Frequently Asked Questions About Solar Light Batteries
Below, I have summarized the most common questions about your solar light batteries. If you are missing a point, reach us in the comment section.
What Does mAh Mean?
mAh is the storage capacity of your solar light batteries. It varies from 600 mAh to 2800 mAh in commercial rechargeable batteries. For example, a 1000 mAh battery will be able to provide a current of 1000 mA (1Amp) continuously during 1 hour at its nominal voltage (usually 1.2V).
What Will Happen If You Use a Higher mAh Value Battery in Your Solar Light?
Don’t worry, you will not damage your solar light, and it will not make your light brighter. You will have a larger battery capacity. Consequently, your light will shine longer.
Can You Use Non-rechargeable Batteries in a Solar Light?
No. This could be a major safety issue. Solar lights have built-in battery chargers that are designed for rechargeable batteries only. Your regular batteries will be overcharged and might release gas and ultimately explode.
Can You Use Regular AA Batteries in Solar Lights?
No. As mentioned, your regular AA battery might explode.
How Long Do Solar Light Batteries Last?
Solar light batteries usually give you 6 to 8 hours of light per day, with a total life duration ranging between 1 and 5 years.
How Do You Charge Solar Light Batteries?
Solar light batteries can be charged by a regular battery charger or your solar light’s built-in charger.
Do You Need to Pre-charge New Solar Light Batteries?
Yes, it is advisable to fully charge your new batteries before putting them in your solar light. This will increase your battery capacity and life duration.
Where to Buy Solar Light Batteries
Our place of choice to buy solar light batteries is Amazon. You will find a huge selection of batteries for all types of budgets. Use our buyer’s guide to find the best one.
How Do You Change the Batteries on Ground Solar Light?
Follow the 8 steps of our guide to change your solar battery.
Where to Store Solar Light Batteries
Store them in a temperate and dark place. If properly stored, you can keep them for years.
What Kind of Batteries Does a Solar Light Use?
Solar lights use rechargeable batteries only – AA type, 1.2V NiMH, and NiCd type.
How Can I Tell If My Solar Light Batteries Are Bad?
Your solar light is dim and only works 1 or 2 hours even after a bright day. It is time to replace your batteries.
How Many Times Do Solar Light Batteries Recharge?
It can vary from 500 to 2000 cycles depending on the battery manufacturing quality.
What Type of Batteries Should Be Used in a Cheap Solar Light?
Use AA, 1.2V, 1000 mAh NiMH batteries. You can find them as low as $1 per unit.
What Voltages Are Solar LED Landscape Light Batteries?
The typical voltage of solar LED lights is 1.2V.
Can You Charge Solar Light Batteries in a Charger?
Yes. This is advisable for new batteries. However, during general use, we don’t recommend removing your batteries often as it could damage their waterproof case.
Let’s have a look at our most important tips when choosing solar light batteries:
- The bigger capacity (in mAh) the better.
- NiCd are for rough weather.
- NiMH are the most durable.
- Fully charge your batteries before use.
- Never use non-rechargeable batteries in your solar lights.
- Buy your batteries in packs to save money.
We hope that our review will help you wisely choose your solar light batteries. Don’t hesitate to reach us in the comment section below if you are missing a point.