Top 10 Trolling Motor Battery Models, Reviews, and Buyer’s Guide
Enjoying fishing and the peace and quiet of nature is only possible because you can fully rely on the trolling motor battery of your angling boat. This battery powers your trolling motorboat, allowing you to freely navigate without constantly worrying about capacity or its proper functioning.
Every experienced angler should know the importance of extending a trolling motor battery life, picking the proper battery type for each application, and taking proper care of the battery. The best aspect of most trolling motor batteries being sold these days is that they are manufactured using technology with over 100 years of improvements and require very low maintenance.
If you want to learn more about these batteries, you came to the right place. With our top pick and trolling motor battery reviews, you will learn about different trolling motor batteries, their advantages, and proper usage. You will also learn what the best battery is for a trolling motor considering the specs of your boat and even learn to choose one for you with the help of our buying guide.
- What Are the Different Types of Trolling Motor Batteries and Their Advantages?
- Top 10 Best Trolling Motor Battery Reviews
- 1. Universal Power Group 12V Battery – Cheap Trolling Motor Battery
- 2. VMAX MR127 12-Volt AGM battery – Boat Trolling Motor Battery
- 3. Interstate Batteries 12V 35 Ah Deep-Cycle Battery (SLA) – Lightest Trolling Motor Battery
- 4. Optima OPT8016-103 Batteries D34M BlueTop Starting and Deep-Cycle Marine Battery – Marine Battery for Trolling Motor
- 5. Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 Deep-Cycle Trolling Motor Battery – Smallest Trolling Motor Battery
- 6. Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST – Best Deep-Cycle Marine Battery for Trolling Motor
- 7. Weize 12V 35 Ah SLA AGM Deep-Cycle Marine Trolling Motor Battery – Lightweight Trolling Motor Battery
- 8. Wilderness Tarpon 100 Kayak Electric Trolling Motor AGM (For Kayak) – Best Battery for Kayak Trolling Motor
- 9. Banshee Dual-Purpose Marine battery – Best Deep-Cycle Marine Battery for Trolling Motor
- 10. WindyNation 12 VOLT 100AH, AGM Deep-Cycle Lead-Acid Sealed Battery – Boat Trolling Motor Battery
- Buyer’s Guide – What to Consider When Buying a Trolling Motor Battery
- Best Selling Trolling Motor Batteries
What Are the Different Types of Trolling Motor Batteries and Their Advantages?
There are different trolling motor battery types considering technology and applications. Depending on the application, you might find a starter, deep-cycle, or dual-purpose battery. Starter batteries are not suitable for trolling motors, meaning you should only choose a deep-cycle or dual-purpose battery for a trolling motor.
The technology of a battery for a trolling motor is defined by its chemical core, which in turn defines its advantages. These are the best trolling motor battery types available in the market.
Flooded Lead-Acid Wet Cell Battery
A lead-acid wet cell battery, also known as flooded battery, might be a suitable choice for your trolling motor and the cheapest option available. This battery has some drawbacks since it requires regular maintenance and has a relatively small life span, which is why we only recommend it if you are only angling for one season.
Sealed Lead-Acid (SLA) Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Battery
The trolling motor AGM battery is among the top choices for marine applications. This battery has a medium to long life span and requires very low maintenance. They are also much safer and resistant. Considering the longer life span of the AGM trolling motor battery and higher depth of discharge (DOD), this is a cheaper option in the long run and one of the best ones available.
SLA Gel Battery
SLA gel batteries can be really good for powering angling trolling motorboats since the technology is durable, reliable, and robust. The gel trolling motor battery life is also much longer than flooded when charged and discharged with the right voltage/amperage, but it can be somewhat delicate with these parameters. We recommend you only use a special charger if choosing a gel trolling motor battery.
Lithium-Ion Trolling Motor Battery
The lithium-ion trolling motor battery is another nice option for angling boats but also the most expensive technology. Choosing a lithium-ion trolling motor battery is mostly recommended for angling boats that, aside from powering a motor, require a power source for other high-consumption devices.
Top 10 Best Trolling Motor Battery Reviews
Choosing the right battery for your trolling motor is important. To help you pick among the best options available on the market, we compiled this trolling motor battery reviews section. You will find several quality models to choose from. Each one stands out considering certain specs, duration, quality, or price.
1. Universal Power Group 12V Battery – Cheap Trolling Motor Battery
- UPG #45978 UB121000 12V 100Ah
- Dimensions: 12.17 inches x 6.61 inches x 9.16 inches. Weight: 63.93 Lbs
- SLA/AGM maintenance free, spill proof battery
The Universal Power Group (UPG) 12V trolling motor battery is one of the cheapest options available. This battery has an excellent quality–price relation considering the high capacity and overall performance.
This SLA AGM trolling motor battery has a 100Ah capacity at C20, meaning you can get 5 amps at a steady rate for 20 hours. The battery can provide a max current of 30 amps, but this will drain the charge faster than it should. The UPG battery can power mid-consumption trolling motors, and it is suitable as a solar or RV battery.
If you have a high-end trolling motorboat requiring a 24-volt trolling motor battery, you can just plug two of these in series and install them on your boat. The battery has an 80% maximum DOD, but we recommend you go as low as 50% to extend its life span and get many more cycles.
- Low cost
- High capacity of 100 Ah
- Max currents of 30 amps
- Only 1-year warranty
- Built-in grab handle is not too resistant
2. VMAX MR127 12-Volt AGM battery – Boat Trolling Motor Battery
- 12 Volt 100Ah Group 27 Deep Cycle Heavy Duty AGM Marine Deep Cycle Maintenence Free Battery (Includes carrying handles)
- Electrolyte Suspension system VMAX tanks utilize an electrolyte suspension system consisting AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) of a high porosity that totally absorb and contain the electrolyte. No silica...
- Heavy Duty Grids: VMAX heavy duty lead tin alloys provide an extra margin of performance and service life in either float or cyclic applications, even after repeated over discharges.
The VMAX MR127 12V trolling motor AGM trolling motor battery is an excellent option for anglers with medium and large boats. This battery has a 100 Ah capacity at C20, providing you with a steady current of 5 amps for 20 hours.
This trolling motor battery has a recommended 50% maximum DOD to ensure a life span of 900 cycles, meaning you should use 50% of its capacity and charge it back again with 7–30 amps. The manufacturer allows a 75% DOD for a life span of 600 cycles and a 100% DOD for 300 cycles. We do not recommend you to go as far as 100% to extend your battery life over a year to ensure the proper functioning of the battery in the long run.
- 5 amps steady current for 20 hours
- Can be discharged to 100% of its capacity if needed, but we recommend a 50% DOD
- High capacity compared to other trolling motor batteries
- Quality casing resistant to vibration and shocks
- Can be fast-charged with a 30-amp current
- Only 1-year warranty
- Expected durability under 50% DOD is 5 years if used every now and then
3. Interstate Batteries 12V 35 Ah Deep-Cycle Battery (SLA) – Lightest Trolling Motor Battery
- Interstate Batteries Deep-Cycle mobility product, our DCM0035 Replacement battery fits many products: Our Compatibility Guide is located under Product Guides & Documents. Also Fits: Jazzy Chairs,...
- Rechargeable, Maintenance-free and spill proof because of the AGM & VRLA (valve regulated) technology that eliminates spills and overpressure.
- Professional-grade quality product developed specifically for wheelchairs and scooters. Long life for deep discharge usage: the best performer for heavy demand mobility / wheelchairs. 12volt 35 ah...
Interstate Batteries is one of the best brands sold in the USA with quality batteries for many applications, including trolling motorboats. The DCM0035 12V trolling motor battery is suitable for small trolling motor boats considering its capacity and how it is extremely lightweight.
This battery has a 35 Ah capacity at a C20 C-Rate, meaning you get a steady current of 1.75 amps for 20 hours, ideal for small trolling motors. You can use a higher current of 18 amps if required, but the charged capacity will be drained within an hour, so you only get a 51% efficiency.
- One of the lightest trolling motor battery models, ideal for small and medium boats
- Provides high currents of 18 amps if needed
- The manufacturer recommends an 80% maximum DOD for marine applications
- Robust quality casing, resistant to shocks and vibrations
- Relatively low capacity
- It only has a 1-year warranty
- Low amperage for C20 rate
4. Optima OPT8016-103 Batteries D34M BlueTop Starting and Deep-Cycle Marine Battery – Marine Battery for Trolling Motor
- 12-Volt, 750 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10 inches x 6 7/8 inches x 7 13/16 inches tall, Weight: 43.5 pounds, Dual SAE & 5/16 inches Stainless Steel Stud Posts. 55 Ah C20 capacity
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather
- Mountable in virtually any position. Works well as a boat battery or RV battery
The Optima OPT8016-103 D34M Marine Battery for trolling motor boats is one of the best dual-purpose marine batteries available, designed by a top-quality manufacturer. This 12V trolling motor battery has a durable casing designed especially for marine applications, making it resistant to shocks and vibrations.
With a 55 Ah capacity at C20, the Optima battery provides a steady current of 2.75 amps for 20 hours when deep cycling. As a starter battery, it provides 750 cranking amps at 0ºF for 30 seconds (750 CCA). The battery has a reserve capacity of 120 minutes at 25 amps, meaning that it power loads 25 amps for up to 2 hours.
- Quality casing designed especially for marine applications
- The medium capacity of 55 Ah
- It is a dual-purpose battery
- Reserve capacity of 120 minutes at 25 amps
- Medium weight, ideal for all types of trolling motorboats
- 2 years warranty
- For a quality brand battery, a C20 rate provides a relatively low max amperage
5. Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 Deep-Cycle Trolling Motor Battery – Smallest Trolling Motor Battery
- ML35-12 SLA is a 12V 35AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) rechargeable maintenance free battery.
- Dimensions: 7.76 inches x 5.12 inches x 7.01 inches. Listing is for the Battery and Screws only. No wire harness or mounting accessories included.
- SLA / AGM spill proof battery has a characteristic of high discharge rate, wide operating temperatures, long service life and deep discharge recover.
The Mighty Max ML35-12 is one of the smallest trolling motor battery models available for marine applications. It has a small to medium capacity, but a surprisingly high C-rate, making it an excellent choice for small trolling motor boats requiring small and light batteries.
This battery has a 35 Ah capacity at C10, meaning you get a steady current of 3.5 amps for 10 hours. The battery can provide a max current of 20 amps, but this amperage will drain the charged capacity within an hour. The Mighty Max battery has an 80% DOD, so you can safely use up to 28 Ah per charge.
- Excellent C-Rate for a small battery
- One of the smallest trolling motor battery models, ideal for small boats and kayaks
- You can fully use 80% of the battery capacity
- Max current of 20 amps
- Excellent brand
- Only 1-year warranty
- Relatively small capacity
6. Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST – Best Deep-Cycle Marine Battery for Trolling Motor
- Odyssey Extreme Series Marine Battery Model 34M-Pc1500St (Group 34 With Tin-Plated Sae Posts, 3/8 Inch Positive And 5/16 Inch Negative Thread Ss Stud Terminals) Like An Athlete That Is Both A Sprinter...
- With Twice The Overall Power And Three Times The Life Of Conventional Marine Batteries
- Through Creativity, Productivity And Innovation - This Brand Continues To Develop The Finest Automotive Accessories
The Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST might be the best deep cycle marine battery for trolling motor boats and other marine applications considering technical specifications and performance. This battery is also suitable as an RV and motorcycle battery.
With a 65 Ah capacity at a C20 C-Rate, you get a steady current of 3.25 amps for 10 hours when deep cycling. As a starter battery, it provides 880 CCA or a 1500 amp pulse for 5 seconds at 80ºF (1500 PHCA). Also, this battery lasts for 400 cycles at an 80% depth of discharge.
For a medium-sized battery, the Odyssey battery performs just as well as other big models. This is one of the best deep-cycle marine batteries for trolling motor boats that are small and medium in size, considering the battery dimensions, weight, and other technical specifications.
- Great CCA and PHCA for a medium-sized dual-purpose battery
- High amperage for the C-rate capacity
- Quality case designed for marine applications
- Medium weight, ideal for all types of boats
- Excellent warranty of 4 years or 400 cycles at 80% DOD, whichever occurs first
- Higher price compared to other similar capacity batteries in the list
7. Weize 12V 35 Ah SLA AGM Deep-Cycle Marine Trolling Motor Battery – Lightweight Trolling Motor Battery
- LFP1235/TL1235 Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Maintenance Free Battery, Size: 7.68 x 5.12 x 7.09 inches. Quantity: 1 x Battery ( with Screws, but No wire harness or mounting). TL1235 or LFP1235 You...
- Compatible with 24 Volt Electric Wheelchair, if Put 2 Battery in Series, It Could Get 24V Voltage.
- Depend on the Devices, It May Need to Put More Together to Get Enough Voltage or Capacity, to Used For Wheelchair, Scooter, Solar Panel Wind Energy Storage, Trolling Motor, Industrial and Medical...
The Weize LFP1235 is one of the smallest trolling motor battery models. This battery is ideal for small boats like kayaks or canoes that require a small and lightweight battery to properly maintain balance. Aside from being resistant to shocks and vibrations, the robust casing is covered with an anti-overheat material extending its life span.
This lightweight canoe trolling motor battery has a capacity of 35 Ah at C10, meaning you get a steady current of 3.5 amps for 10 hours. You can safely discharge the battery to a maximum 80% DOD and use up to 28 Ah of its capacity when powering your trolling motorboat.
- Anti-overheat casing
- Excellent C-Rate of C10
- You can use up to 80% of its capacity
- One of the smallest and lightest trolling motor battery models, ideal to use as a canoe trolling motor battery
- Only 1-year warranty
- Relatively low capacity
8. Wilderness Tarpon 100 Kayak Electric Trolling Motor AGM (For Kayak) – Best Battery for Kayak Trolling Motor
The Wilderness Tarpon can be one of the best batteries for kayak trolling motor boats. It has a really small size, is lightweight, and has a capacity that can easily power motors in small vessels like kayaks, small boats, and even some medium-sized trolling motorboats.
For deep cycling, this battery has a 35 Ah capacity at C20, providing you with a steady current of 1.75 amps for 20 hours, while as a starter battery, you get up to 300 CCA. This Marine battery has an 80% depth of discharge, allowing you to power up a small vessel for hours when angling and making it the best battery for kayak trolling motor boats.
- One of the smallest and lightest trolling motor battery models
- Maximum 80% depth of discharge
- 300 CCA as a starter battery
- Quality casing resistant to vibrations and shocks
- Small capacity of 35 Ah
9. Banshee Dual-Purpose Marine battery – Best Deep-Cycle Marine Battery for Trolling Motor
- BATTERY TYPE: BCI 31M AGM rechargeable deep cycle marine battery with [+ -] terminals
- Group 31M Battery | 12V 105AH AGM Gel Sealed Battery | 700CCA | Dimensions: L= 13.00" W= 6.76" H= 8.26" | Leak free, sealed design prevents corrosion. Maintenance Free. No need to add acid. | 2 Year...
- Fits and Replaces: Optima 8052-161 D31M, XMC-31, GL100, GPL-31T, GPL-3100T, ELT-AGM31, NSB-AGM31, 31M-PC2150, and More.
The dual-purpose D31M Banshee is a good-quality marine battery for trolling motor boats. This model has a superior capacity, a dual-purpose manufacturing design, and a really good price considering its specifications.
This battery has a great capacity of 105 Ah and an 80% maximum depth of discharge. With this high-capacity trolling motor battery, you can easily power all types of trolling motor boats for angling. As a starter battery, you can get up to 700 CCA.
Since it is specially designed for marine applications, it has a quality casing design resistant to shocks and vibrations, making it ideal for all types of trolling motorboats.
- High capacity of 105 Ah
- 700 CCA as a starter battery
- Especially designed casing for marine applications
- 2-year warranty
- It is one of the heaviest and bulkiest models available
10. WindyNation 12 VOLT 100AH, AGM Deep-Cycle Lead-Acid Sealed Battery – Boat Trolling Motor Battery
- WindyNation 100 amp-hour, 12 Volt heavy duty deep cycle AGM sealed lead acid batteries with heavy duty plates are designed for deep, repetitive discharges.
- Ideal for all types of off-grid power: Solar Systems, RV's, UPS, Off shore Marine power, Telecommunications, Portable tools, etc.
- 99.995% pure virgin lead allows for an extremely low discharge rate and maximum power storage (lower quality batteries often use recycled lead). Float life is 10 to 12 years at 25 degrees Celsius
The WindyNation BAT-NSAP12-100 is a quality boat trolling motor battery. This battery is designed with a quality case, a high capacity, and an excellent operating current. You can even use this model as a UPS, solar, wind, or golf cart battery.
This boat trolling motor battery has a 100 Ah capacity at a C10 C-Rate. You can obtain up to 10 amps per hour for 10 hours with the WindyNation battery, easily powering your trolling motor with a steady current. The battery provides a max current of 30 amps, but this practice might compromise its capacity and life span.
- 30 amps max current
- Very high C-Rate of C10
- High capacity, ideal for medium and big trolling motorboats
- You can use up to 80% of its capacity
- Only 1-year warranty
- The battery is relatively big and heavy
Buyer’s Guide – What to Consider When Buying a Trolling Motor Battery
Knowing what the best battery for a trolling motor is depends in particular on the technical specifications of the motor, the battery, and several other aspects. In this buyer’s guide, we will explain the most important aspects to consider when choosing the best trolling motor battery for your angling boat.
What Is the Best Capacity for You?
The capacity of the marine battery defines how much usage time you get from one charge. You might choose among three group sizes: low batteries with up to 40 Ah, medium batteries with up to 70 Ah, or high-capacity batteries that usually go up to 100 Ah and sometimes beyond that capacity. You will need to find out how much constant amperage is required by your trolling motor and estimate the number of hours you would be using it. That way, you will be able to find out how much capacity you will need for your trolling motor, plus other loads if needed.
The installed capacity will influence a trolling motor battery size and weight. It is important to pick the battery with the right capacity size, weight, and dimensions, especially if you have a small angling boat.
Which Is the Best Battery Type?
Choosing the proper battery technology will define the trolling motor battery life, required maintenance, maximum depth of discharge, amperage, and other aspects. Some batteries are designed with gel technology, but the best options available for marine applications are AGM trolling motor batteries.
What Is the Proper Budget for a Trolling Motor Battery?
Acquiring a low-, medium-, or high-end battery varies concerning your budget and the type of trolling motor installed at your angling boat. Some batteries have an extended life span and better specs, but they usually cost a little more. If you can spare the bucks, these might be better choices for your boat, especially with their longer life spans and extended warranties.
Most trolling motors indeed require a 12V trolling motor battery, but some high-end models need a 24-volt trolling motor battery. If you do not find an adequate choice within the 24-volt range, you can just install two quality 12V marine batteries in series. This will give your motor enough power to properly function and even power other electronics onboard.
What Is the Temperature Needed to Install the Battery?
The capacity of trolling motor batteries is usually reduced by exposure to low-climate temperatures. Temperatures of -4ºF (-20ºC) might only get you 40–70% of the capacity, while to get 100% of the capacity, they should be exposed to temperatures of 77ºF (25ºC).
Climate temperature also affects the life expectancy of the battery. Some batteries last up to 10 years at 50ºF (10ºC), while they will only get up to 3 years at constant 113ºF (45ºC). We recommend you provide shelter and special temperature insulators for your batteries during winter and cold temperatures in general and do your best to keep the room temperature where the batteries are located as close to 25°C as possible.
Size and Weight
A trolling motor battery size and weight are two very important aspects to consider when choosing a battery. You should pick a model with the right size and weight, especially if it is for small boats like kayaks, canoes, and other compact angling boats.
Maintenance and Proper Usage
A trolling motor AGM, gel, or lithium battery requires close to no maintenance, but it is still important to take proper care of it, meaning that you should know how to charge trolling motor batteries at the right voltage and current. Discharging a battery only to 50% of its capacity and using a charger allowing you to set the parameters to those recommended by the manufacturer are enough to ensure a longer life span for your battery.
Life Span and Number of Cycles
The lifespan of a battery is defined by the number of cycles you can charge and discharge a battery at a certain DOD. The higher the DOD, the lower number of cycles your battery will last. You can always extend the life span by discharging it up to the 50% recommended DOD and learning how to charge trolling motor batteries with the right voltage and amps.
The operating amperage of a battery is defined by its C-Rate. Most marine batteries have C10 or C20 rates, meaning that their capacity can be steadily discharged in a 10- or 20-hour period with the max current being equal to the capacity of the battery between those hours. Some batteries provide higher currents, but regularly using this maximum current decreases the capacity of the battery in the long run.
Many trolling motor batteries can be perfectly suitable for your angling boat. If you pick among the available models in the trolling motor battery reviews section and use the buying guide to help you choose, you will get the perfect model suiting your trolling motorboat.
Properly choosing a battery considering its technology and type of applications are a vital part to get a battery that will last you for years. You should also take proper care of your battery by discharging it to its recommended DOD and charging it back up with the recommended parameters by the manufacturer. This practice will ensure a proper functioning and longer lifetime for your battery.