Top 10 Best Truck Battery Replacement Reviews
There’s a world of difference between a truck battery and batteries for passenger cars. Truck batteries demand more power and higher performance, have better resiliency against temperature extremes, and should last longer considering the usual long-distance drives of most trucks. Sometimes, truck batteries are the perfect fit for modern sports and luxury cars oozing with power under the hood, especially those equipped with highly advanced accessories and state-of-the-art electronic features.
Making the right choice for truck batteries is critical in ensuring road safety and optimum performance. So, if you’re shopping for batteries for your truck, don’t settle for less by going for car batteries or the cheapest one you can grab off the store shelves. Instead, go for truck batteries where they are deemed fit for your vehicle’s demand and rigorous driving habits.
We’ve tested and reviewed a couple of the best truck battery replacements in the marketplace and created a list of the top 10 batteries for trucks with quick reviews on each product. Check them out for your reference during shopping.
- Best Truck Battery at a Glance
- What Are the Benefits of Truck Batteries?
- What Are the Different Types of Truck Batteries
- Top 10 Best Truck Battery Reviews
- 1. Optima Batteries 8002-002 34 RedTop Starting Battery – Best Overall
- 2. Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery – Best Value Battery
- 3. Odyssey Automotive and LTV Battery – Best for High Performance
- 4. ACDelco Professional AGM Battery – Honorable Mention
- 5. Optima YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery – Honorable Mention
- 6. XS Power D3400 XS Series
- 7. DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Battery – Best Value Battery
- 8. Delphi MaxStart AGM Battery – Best Value Battery
- 9. NORTHSTAR Pure Lead Automotive Battery – Best Value Battery
- 10. ACDelco 78AGM – Best Value Battery
- Best Truck Batteries – Buyer’s Guide
- Best Selling Truck Batteries
Best Truck Battery at a Glance
At a quick glance below are the best truck battery reviews based on a few vital features, such as performance, cold cranking amp, ampere-hour, warranty, customer service, client reviews, and more.
- Best Overall – Optima Batteries 8002-002 34 RedTop Starting Battery
- Best Value Battery – Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery
- Best for High Performance – Odyssey Automotive and LTV Battery
- Honorable Mention – ACDelco Professional AGM Battery
- Honorable Mention – Optima YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
- XS Power D3400 XS Series
- DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Battery
- Delphi MaxStart AGM Battery
- NORTHSTAR Pure Lead Automotive Battery
- ACDelco 78AGM
What Are the Benefits of Truck Batteries?
Compared to passenger cars, RVs, and motorcycles, trucks demand more cold cranking amps for a quick start. For this reason, most truck batteries have high CCA ratings, usually starting from 300 up to a thousand or more. Also, they are generally engineered with solid and strong casing construction to withstand rugged use and temperature extremes. Considering the generally long driving conditions of most trucks, their batteries have the technology to last longer than conventional batteries. Some battery brands are also offering longer warranties. So, there are many benefits of truck batteries. While they are also more expensive than the batteries for cars, they are also more powerful enough to keep all advanced electronics and accessories running at their optimum performance.
What Are the Different Types of Truck Batteries
When you shop for the best battery for a pickup truck, or the best battery for a diesel truck, or any truck for that matter, you’ll come across a few different types. So, it’s important to know the available types of truck batteries to ensure you’ll have the right battery that fits with your driving profile, your truck type, and the environmental conditions in your area. The traditional batteries are the lead-acid type, also called wet cell batteries, which require heavy maintenance and regular filling of electrolyte fluids. Modern AGM batteries feature the absorbent glass mat (AGM) technology that offers maintenance-free ownership and gets rid of regular filling of fluid. Lithium-ion batteries came up with better offers with the capability to store more energy than wet cell batteries, paving the way to a world of long-lasting batteries that can last up to 10 years or more.
Top 10 Best Truck Battery Reviews
If you’re shopping for batteries, you’d probably ask yourself what the best truck battery is. So, we conducted extensive research and made a few tests to create our top picks for the best products. Below are our best truck battery reviews.
1. Optima Batteries 8002-002 34 RedTop Starting Battery – Best Overall
- 12-Volt, 800 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10" x 6 7/8" x 7 13/16" tall, Weight: 37.9 pounds, SAE Post. C20 Capacity: 50 Ah. CCA: 800 Amp
- Reserve capacity of 100 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather; Case Material: Polypropylene
The Optima Batteries 8002-002 34 RedTop truck battery is considered an excellent starting battery due to its super high cold cranking amps at 800, which is far above the CCA levels of the standard truck batteries. On top of that, you will also enjoy about 100 minutes of reserve capacity for steady performance, and it is also 15x more resistant to vibration. This makes it perfect for all-terrain, off-road driving, and even racing. The spill-proof design in a solid polypropylene casing is mountable in virtually any position for ease of placement and installation, and it’s maintenance-free with up to twice longer life. Considering it has the strongest starting cranking burst of 800 CCA that withstands the most extreme G forces, plus the 100-minute reserve, there’s no doubt it is the best overall battery for trucks, which also works for racing cars and even sedans loaded with great features that require significant amounts of power.
- Strong starting burst at 800 CCA.
- With a reserve capacity of 100 minutes for constant performance.
- It has 15x more resistance to vibration for better durability.
- Unclear warranty
- Expensive price
2. Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery – Best Value Battery
- 12-Volt, 720 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 9.38 x 7.69 x 6.75-Inches Weight: 31.7 pounds, SAE Posts
- Reserve capacity of 90 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather. Case material is Polypropylene
The Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery has a more or less comparable performance with its sibling – the Optima Batteries 8002-002 34 RedTop. The only big difference is the price, which is less costly. However, there is also a compromise with the CCA performance, which is slightly reduced to 720. Likewise, this remains far exceed the standard level of conventional batteries. This battery type is also race-proven for every road every day, delivering a strong cranking power burst for stress-free and quick starting, even at low temperatures. It is also resistant to vibrations by 15 times better than standard batteries. Considering its high-performance ignition power at a more affordable price, we’ve concluded that the Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop is the best value battery for trucks, SUVs, streetcars, and hot rods.
- High cranking power at 720 CCA at a more affordable price
- With a reserve capacity of 90 minutes for good performance
- 15 times resistant to vibrations
- Undefined warranty statement
- Higher price than conventional batteries
3. Odyssey Automotive and LTV Battery – Best for High Performance
- Cold Crank Amp (CCA)- 330
- Better : Limited 3 and 4 year full replacement - not pro rata
- Longer service life: With 3-10 years of service life, ODYSSEY batteries save consumers time, money, and aggravation
The Odyssey Extreme Series PC925 automotive and LTV battery features a dual advantage of having a massive starting power at 330 CCA with an outstanding deep-cycling capability. At the same time, they have up to 400 cycles at 80% discharge depth. This makes it the best battery for a diesel truck, gasoline trucks, automobiles, and for powering various onboard electronic accessories of recreational vehicles and boats. This is why it is sometimes referred to as a marine battery. It also packs 15% more plate surface area to avoid the dead space in between cylinders, with a 52-minute reserve capacity. Moreover, it is tolerant to temperature extremes, from as cold as -40°F to as hot as 113°F. Because of its flexibility in use in different areas with varying temperatures, satisfactory cold cranking amp, and excellent deep-cycling capability, the Odyssey Extreme Series PC925 is our top pick for the best high-performance battery. This is also the best truck battery for cold weather and the best truck battery for hot weather.
- Has an outstanding deep-cycling capability of up to 400 cycles at 80% discharge depth.
- The battery is tolerant of extreme temperatures.
- With 3 years warranty.
- Older models of this battery have an opposite terminal orientation.
- Some issues with fit due to inaccurate size or dimension.
4. ACDelco Professional AGM Battery – Honorable Mention
- High density negative paste, improves performance and increases battery life
- Enhanced life alloy or Silver Calcium stamped alloy increases cycle life and improves performance
- Calcium lead positive grid, maximizes conductivity and allows for low resistance
The ACDelco Professional AGM Battery features a silver-calcium-stamped alloy that improves cycle life for better performance. The high-density negative paste increases its battery life, while the calcium-lead-positive grid maximizes conductivity and allows for low resistance. The ACDelco Professional truck battery has a robust envelope separator with a puncture-resistant back that prevents shorts, while the enhanced acid circulation helps keep the battery to remain cool for better durability. Plus, it comes with a 36-month free replacement warranty – not bad for a battery at a medium-range price point. If your vehicle is a GM, then this is the best battery replacement since it fits with more than 90,000 GM vehicles and parts, being a GM Original Equipment parts manufacturer. It also works for other vehicles and applications. The high CCA at 770 plus the above mentioned features and the GM OE fit make ACDelco Professional AGM Battery an honorable mention in our top list.
- The better acid circulation helps the battery remain cool.
- Robust envelope separator with a puncture-resistant back that prevents shorts.
- Best original equipment manufacturers (OEM) battery replacement for GM vehicles.
- There are fit issues with some cars other than GM.
- Premature lifespan.
5. Optima YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery – Honorable Mention
- 12-Volt, 750 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10" x 6 7/8" x 7 13/16" tall, Weight: 43.5 pounds, Dual SAE & GM Post
- Reserve capacity of 120 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather. Case Material: Polypropylene.Internal Resistance: 0.0028
The Optima D34/78 YellowTop battery is packed with a high cold cranking amp of 750 at 55 ampere-hours with an extended 2-hour reserve capacity for steady performance. It further features a distinct SpiralCell design that provides a clean and stable power source to ensure safety for you, your family, and the environment. Plus, it has a deep-cycling capability that provides sufficient power for vehicles added with powerful features and high-performance accessories. This also makes the Optima D34/78 YellowTop battery ideal for seasonal use due to its very low self-discharge rate, thereby eliminating your worry about extended storage during winter. The 120 minutes of reserve capacity also offers steady performance every day on every road. The combined high CCA rating and the deep-cycle capability complemented by extended 120 minutes of reserve capacity make the Optima D34/78 YellowTop battery our next honorable mention in our list.
- With deep-cycle capability that makes it best for seasonal use
- Outstanding reserve capacity of 120 minutes for consistent performance
- High cold cranking amp of 750 at 55 Ah
- Unclear warranty statement
- It is quite an expensive truck battery
- 12 Volt Battery With Ca: 1000, Ah: 65
- Absorbed Glass Mat (Electrolyte Is Suspended In Fiberglass)
- Spill Proof, Sealed, Valve Regulated And Vibration Resistant
XS Power is a well-established brand that uses the highest energy density chemistry possible for AGM batteries, making it a favorable choice for passenger and commercial vehicles, including car audio systems. It’s even used in some racing cars for its ability to get loud and go fast. It is an ideal battery for every form of racing and heavy-duty use and tested in everything from 300+ MPH drag racing to salt flat cars, dirt tracks, and boat racing. The absorbed glass mat with the electrolyte suspended in fiberglass combines with spill-proof, sealed, and valve-regulated design to give the battery an improved tolerance to vibrations and better durability that can last up to 10 years. However, the most significant feature is the monstrous cranking power at a whooping 1000 CCA. Likewise, you should also be ready to pay premiums for this enormous amount of power under the hood. It’s a great battery if your truck is fully upgraded with too many accessories that demand power. Thus, for everyday vehicles with standard accessories, you could be paying more for the extra and unnecessary power.
- Super high cranking amp at 1000.
- It is a long-lasting battery that can last anywhere from 6–10 years.
- The battery comes with an M6 terminal and can be mounted in any direction.
- Premium price at the most expensive level
- No battery posts and may require an additional purchase of posts
7. DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Battery – Best Value Battery
- 20X more vibration protection safeguards battery performance over time, 2X the cycle life extends the performance and life (compared to convention lead acid batteries)
- BCI Gp 34, CCA 775, RC 120 minutes, 55 AH rating
- Spill proof design provides added protection for sophisticated electronic equipment
DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Battery has a superior AGM design that withstands the most elevated temperature conditions today and the rising power demand of high-performance accessories. It also features full-plate AGM technology, designed to provide more power and longer life. The spill-proof design makes it mountable in practically any position and maintenance-free. DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Battery provides 20x more vibration protection compared to the standard batteries, with optimized full-frame negative and positive plates that prevent electrical shorts. It also meets the needs of most vehicles and is a direct fit for many import and domestic OEM applications, including BMW, Chrysler, Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, Mini, Porsche, Volvo, Saab, and more. Plus, it comes with a 3-year full-replacement warranty for added assurance on your investment.
- It comes with a 3-year replacement warranty.
- The battery has 20x more vibration protection.
- With optimized full-frame negative and positive plates that prevent electrical shorts.
- Not a long-lasting battery
- Standard lifespan for a battery with a mid-level price point
8. Delphi MaxStart AGM Battery – Best Value Battery
- Extended cold cranking amps delivery means more power for today's demanding electronics
- Group 47 battery with 600 CCA (cold cranking amps) and 100 R.C. (reverse capacity)
- 20x the vibration resistance of conventional batteries
The Delphi MaxStart AGM Battery is a top of the line absorbed glass mat battery for powering most makes of cars today including electronics and other accessories. It has a high cold cranking amp power at 600 plus a 100-minute reserve capacity. It also has superior vibration resistance that is 20x better than conventional batteries and an outstanding corrosion resistance sealed housing with a manifold venting system for optimum durability. All Delphi AGM batteries are infused with advanced technology to make them last two times the cycle life of standard batteries.
- Good CCA rating at 600 amp
- 20x the vibration resistance of conventional batteries
- Superior corrosion resistance sealed housing with manifold venting system
- Not so good customer support.
- It didn’t last long for some users.
9. NORTHSTAR Pure Lead Automotive Battery – Best Value Battery
- NSB-AGM27 Pure Lead AGM Battery
- 1080 CA, 930 CCA, 195 RC, 92 AH
- Group 27 With Left Positive Terminal
The NORTHSTAR Pure Lead Automotive Battery features a pure lead AGM technology that delivers a superior cold cranking amp rating of 930 that ensures quick starting every time, complemented by an excellent reserve capacity cycling ability of 195 minutes. The advanced AGM construction of NORTHSTAR pure lead battery means no water levels to check or terminals to clean, and it is housed in a sturdy plastic that resists heat and 28x resistant to vibration. Also, there’s no need to worry if you go away for a vacation and the car is idle for a while because the battery cycles over 900 times at 50% depth of discharge. The OEM fit also ensures that it is built to exact BCI standards.
- High CCA rating of 930.
- Extended reserve capacity of 195 minutes.
- It cycles over 900 times at 50% depth of discharge.
- Not a long-lasting battery.
- The left positive terminal can be an issue for some vehicles.
10. ACDelco 78AGM – Best Value Battery
- High density negative paste, improves performance and increases battery life
- Enhanced life alloy/Silver Calcium stamped alloy increases cycle life and improves performance
- Calcium Lead positive grid, maximizes conductivity and allows for low resistance
The ACDelco 78AGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 78 Battery has a silver-calcium battery cell composition with a high-density negative paste that greatly enhances performance and extends battery life. The solid envelope separator that comes with a puncture-resistant back design promotes better acid circulation that eliminates shorts, while improving the acid circulation at the same time to keep the battery cool even under extended use. Since it is made by ACDelco, it’s a genuine General Motors OE fit, making it the best OEM replacement battery for GM vehicles. The high 600 CCA also makes it ideal for trucks, vans, and SUVs.
- It has a high-density negative paste that increases battery life and improves performance.
- Its sturdy envelope separator with puncture-resistant back improves acid circulation and prevents shorts.
- With vent cap design that resists acid leakage.
- Fit issues with some vehicles except GM
- Standard life span
Best Truck Batteries – Buyer’s Guide
Shopping for the best truck batteries requires patience and due attention to detail. There are certain features that demand careful assessment to ensure your truck has enough power to run smoothly without breakdowns. Among them are as follows.
Cold Cranking Amp (CCA)
In tropical areas, the CCA may not matter so much. However, in cold places like the freezing and icy North, the CCA matters a lot because this will give you the starting or ignition power during cold conditions. Without enough cold cranking amp, your truck won’t start during times of freezing cold.
Cranking Amps (CA)
The cranking amps should not be confused with CCA. In this case, this is the amount of amps needed to start the truck. Smaller trucks or passenger cars will start at 400 amps. Larger trucks need higher CAs from 700 amps up to 1000. Heavier trucks will need more, at least 1000 amps or more.
The C20 capacity serves as a benchmark of the stored energy inside the battery. It indicates the amount of energy the battery can continuously deliver for 20 hours at 80°F without going below 10.5 volts. So, the higher the C20 capacity, the better.
There are still more features to look into, such as weight, vehicle fitment, battery cell composition, warranty, customer service, and dimensions to ensure an exact fit with your truck. So it’s important to take these critical factors into consideration during your shopping. Once you find the best truck battery for your vehicle, you should also buy the best truck battery charger to pair with your battery purchase.
It can be hard to get stuck in the middle of a strange place with a truck that won’t start. With the right choice of truck battery, you’ll get rid of the headaches while enjoying smooth and maintenance-free ownership of the battery. Knowing where to start and what battery type to choose, along with the necessary features, is critical during the buying process. If you’re still unsure which one to choose, nothing should go wrong with picking one from our top list of the best truck battery replacements.